Skip to main content
Glenwood Station rendering

Site History

Glenwood Station is constructed at the former site of the historical McChesney & Miller Grocery Store, which was the oldest retail store in DuPage County until it closed in 2014 after 152 years in business.
As an homage to the sites previous historic past, wed like to share a brief history of McChesney & Miller Grocery store:

1862
Joseph R. McChesney opens grocery & dry goods store:  McChesney Grocery (West side of Main St. between Crescent Blvd. & Pennsylvania Ave.)


1878
Moved to east side of Main St. (475 Main St.)



1913
Oscar Miller opens meat market next doorMeat now offered year round
Meat delivery

1920
McChesney & Miller join forces:  McChesney & Miller, Inc.
McChesney & Miller's store
McChesney & Miller



1930s
M & M helped neighbors whenever possibleduring the Great Depression the store often stayed open and & allowed customers to start a tab.  Several of the tabs were forgiven years later.

1940s & 50s
M & M offered delivery services to elders who may not have been able to get to the store otherwise.

1959
Relocates to larger building w/ private parking lot (486 Pennsylvania)
1959 store

1975
Moved to current Glenwood Station site (460 Crescent Blvd.)
McChesney & Miller - 1975

1984
IL State Historical Society honored McChesney & Miller Grocery & Market as DuPage countys oldest grocery store
McChesney & Miller - DuPage's Oldest Grocery Store

2014
M & M closes after 152 years in business
 
Sources:
https://www.shawlocal.com/2014/10/03/mcchesney-miller-gets-community-farewell-before-closing/ag56man/
http://www.findglocal.com/US/Glen-Ellyn/270881546316198/McChesney-%26-Miller%2C-Inc